Hey! Its father’s day. Well we as a family don’t believe in the concept of mother’s day or father’s day, but since my parents are away travelling, I decided to write something for my Dad. The newspapers are talking about celebrity Dads, gifts for Dads, memories of dad and blah and blah. None of this made me get up and hug my Dad. (He hates hugs and all that but I love them and he has to endure them!) But one particular newspaper had listed 20 phrases all fathers utter at least once. And this piece made me want to hug my Dad. Nah, not because those phrases reminded me of him, but because he had not said any of those things ever to me or my sister. So here is a list of things that make him that cool dad who doubles up as a friend. Thanks dad for:
1. Always answering our silly questions! Be it why do aeroplanes fly to where do babies come from. He answered them all without shutting me up
2. For putting together a list of CDs on our trip to Goa in 2000, to ‘educate’ me in music. He got me hooked to Phil Collins, Simon & Garfunkel, Dire Straits, Guns N Roses (you read right, my Dad introduced me to the concept of head-bangin!), Foreigner and many other cool bands. That trip changed the way I perceived music.
3. Always letting us have whatever we wanted right from music systems to video games, but always making sure we earned them by performing a task.
4. Buying me all the movies I wanted!
5. Buying me books that’d make my day! Right from Single in the city to collected plays of Neil Simon to Kurt Cobain’s biography.
6. Letting me dream big and supporting me through those mad dreams I’d try to realise.
7. Supporting me emotionally and financially for a Creative writing degree in UK…
8. Not giving me the classic ‘What do you want to do with your life’ gyaan
9. Not cringing when I decided to not work and write a novel.
10. Not cringing when I gave up a job to write, yet again
11. For singing sweet child o mine for me on my birthdays!
12. For taking me to my first rock concert! Jai Rolling Stones 🙂
13. For being a Dad who gives me an infinite list of things that make him a rocking Father!